COLUMBIA, S.C. – Sowell Gray Stepp & Laffitte, LLC Managing Member Cal Watson has been sworn in as president-elect of the South Carolina Bar, a position that will prepare him to lead the 14,000-member organization in 2014.
Watson has served on the South Carolina Bar Board of Governors since 2009 after previously serving from 1997 to 2000. He served as treasurer in 2012-13 and as secretary in 2011-12. He’s been on the South Carolina Bar’s House of Delegates since 1997.
Watson also was president of the South Carolina Bar Foundation (2006-07) and president of the John Belton O’Neall Inn of Court (2010-11).
“We congratulate Cal as he assumes the office of President-Elect of the South Carolina Bar,” Sowell Gray founding member Betsy Gray said. “Knowing Cal as we do, we believe he is ideal for this leadership role. The Bar will benefit from his recognized strong management skills and dedication to the legal profession.”
Watson serves the community as well as the legal profession. He was president of the Historic Columbia Foundation in 2007-09 and of the Wofford College Alumni Association in 2000.
His practice areas at Sowell Gray are professional liability and commercial litigation and business dispute resolution. Watson is also a certified South Carolina Circuit Court mediator.
Watson earned his juris doctor from the University of South Carolina School of Law after graduating summa cum laude from Wofford College. He has been selected as a South Carolina Super Lawyer for six consecutive years and has been listed in Best Lawyers in America yearly since 2009.
About Sowell Gray:
Located in Columbia’s historic Vista district, Sowell Gray Step & Laffitte, LLC provides business and litigation representation in all state and federal trial and appellate courts in South Carolina. Founded in 1996, the firm serves clients ranging from multi-national corporations to small businesses and individuals. For more information, please visit sowellgray.com.
- Seven Robinson Gray attorneys again named Super Lawyers; while 5 named Rising Stars
- COVID-19 and the new remote deposition: Tips for success
- COVID-19 and civil litigation in South Carolina
- COVID-19 and small business, part III: The CARES Act – what it means for small business
- COVID-19 and small business, part II: The SBA – current relief and new relaxed guidelines
- Robinson Gray associate Lisle Traywick named to SC Supreme Court Pro Bono Honor Roll
- COVID-19 and small business, part I: The status of government incentives and what they may mean for your business
- COVID-19 telecommuting and workers’ comp claims: How can employers minimize risks?