COLUMBIA, SC – Sowell Gray Stepp & Laffitte, LLC, has been rated as a first-tier metropolitan firm in Best Law Firms, a US News-Best Lawyers publication that recognizes the top practices in the nation.
Sowell Gray was recognized as a tier one law firm in five areas: administrative/regulatory law; commercial litigation; personal injury litigation – defendants; professional malpractice law – defendants; and workers’ compensation law – employers. The firm also was ranked in litigation – construction.
“We’re very pleased to have earned such an excellent placement from such a prestigious news publication,” Sowell Gray managing member Cal Watson said. “It’s even more gratifying because the rankings were based on the opinions of clients as well as evaluations from other attorneys. It’s great to see that the people we represent and our peers have rated us so highly.”
Best Law Firms rankings were compiled after more than 100,000 surveys were sent to clients, attorneys, and law firms. Clients evaluated firms on benchmarks such as responsiveness, understanding of a business and its needs, cost-effectiveness, civility, and whether they would refer another client to a firm. Law firms assessed their peers in areas including integrity, cost-effectiveness, and whether they would refer a matter to a firm and whether they consider a firm worthy competition.
A firm’s performance in “Best Lawyers” rankings also was taken into account. Sowell Gray attorneys – Grady L. Beard, Elizabeth Van Doren Gray, Rebecca Laffitte, Thornwell F. Sowell, Robert E. Stepp, Monteith P. Todd and J. Calhoun Watson – were highlighted in eight categories in that publication.
The law firm rankings appeared in a November edition of the U.S.News, as well as in a special publication going to 30,000 general counsels in the U.S. and at USNews.com.
About Sowell Gray
Located in Columbia’s historic Vista district, Sowell Gray Stepp & Laffitte, LLC, provides business and litigation representation in all state and federal trial and appellate courts in South Carolina. Founded in 1996, the firm serves clients ranging from multi-national corporations to small businesses and individuals. For more information, please visit sowellgray.com.
- Robinson Gray team members co-author DE&I article in national publication
- Ashley Johnson named Star of the Quarter by SC Bar’s Young Lawyers Division
- Tyson and Traywick teach Election Law at UofSC School of Law
- 18 Robinson Gray lawyers named to Best Lawyers; two listed as Ones to Watch
- Three Robinson Gray members named Lawyers of the Year for 2021 by Best Lawyers
- Jasmine Smith named to SC Top 40 Under 40 list by National Black Lawyers
- Thirteen Robinson Gray attorneys named among ‘Legal Elite’ for 2020
- La’Jessica Stringfellow named Star of the Quarter by ABA Young Lawyers Division