COLUMBIA, SC – Sowell Gray Stepp & Laffitte has been rated as a first-tier metropolitan firm in “Best Law Firms,” a new US News-Best Lawyers publication that recognizes the top practices in the nation.
Sowell Gray was honored in four areas: general commercial litigation; personal injury litigation, defendants; professional malpractice law, defendants; and workers’ compensation law, employers.
“We’re very pleased to have earned such an excellent placement from such a prestigious news publication,” Sowell Gray managing partner Cal Watson said. “It’s even more gratifying because the rankings were based on the opinions of clients as well as evaluations from other attorneys. It’s great to know that the people we represent and our peers think so highly of us.”
“Best Law Firms” is the latest in a signature series of US News consumer guides that include rankings of colleges, graduate schools, high schools, hospitals, and more.
The law firm rankings were compiled after more than 100,000 surveys were sent to clients, attorneys, and law firms. Clients evaluated firms on benchmarks such as responsiveness, understanding of a business and its needs, cost-effectiveness, civility, and whether they would refer another client to a firm. Law firms assessed their peers in areas including integrity, cost-effectiveness, and whether they would refer a matter to a firm and whether they consider a firm worthy competition.
A firm’s performance in “Best Lawyers” rankings also were taken to account. Eight Sowell Gray attorneys – Grady L. Beard, Elizabeth Van Doren Gray,Daniel W. Hayes, Rebecca Laffitte, Thornwell F. Sowell, Robert E. Stepp, Monteith P. Todd and J. Calhoun Watson – were highlighted in five categories in that publication.
The law firm rankings appeared in a September edition of the U.S.News, as well as in a special publication going to 30,000 general counsels in the U.S. and at USNews.com.
About Sowell Gray
Located in Columbia’s historic Vista district, Sowell Gray Stepp & Laffitte LLC provides business and litigation representation in all state and federal trial and appellate courts in South Carolina. Founded in 1996, the firm serves clients ranging from multi-national corporations to small businesses and individuals. For more information, please visit sowellgray.com.
- Nine at Robinson Gray named to SC Super Lawyers list, with two making Top Ten
- Amanda Mellard joins Robinson Gray as member
- Beth Richardson releases guide to help attorneys practice before the Fourth Circuit
- SC Supreme Court names Robinson Gray’s Lisle Traywick to Pro Bono Honor Roll
- ABA names Robinson Gray’s Ashley Dixon a Pro Bono Leader for 2021
- Robinson Gray’s Ashley Lamb to participate in Riley Institute Diversity Leaders Initiative
- La’Jessica Stringfellow named a star by South Carolina Bar Young Lawyers Division
- Molly Campolong of Robinson Gray becomes president of CREW-Midlands