Monty practices in the areas of healthcare malpractice, commercial litigation, professional liability, products liability, and premises liability.
He has tried more than 75 cases to verdict in the state and federal courts in South Carolina, is a Supreme Court of South Carolina Certified Mediator, and has been consistently recognized by Best Lawyers and Super Lawyers. Monty is a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates and the Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel.
- Represented hospitals, nursing homes, and medical practitioners in numerous medical malpractice lawsuits.
- Represented doctors and medical professionals in licensing and administrative disputes.
- Represented manufacturers in a variety of product liability suits, including claims of product failure and toxic tort exposure.
- Best Lawyers in America
- Personal Injury Litigation, Defendants (2005-2023)
- Columbia Business Monthly Legal Elite (2016)
- South Carolina “Super Lawyer”
- Personal Injury Defense, Medical Malpractice (2015-2022)
- Health Care (2010)
- Business Litigation (2010)
- Personal Injury Defense, Products (2008-2014)
- Richland County Bar Association
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Defense Research Institute
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys’ Association
- Supreme Court of South Carolina Certified Mediator
- Greater Columbia Chamber of Commerce
- South Carolina Chamber of Commerce
- South Carolina Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina
- University of South Carolina School of Law, J.D. (1982)
- Order of Wig and Robe
- Order of the Coif
- South Carolina Law Review
- Presbyterian College, B.S. (1979)