Article originally published in South Carolina Lawyers Weekly: Verdict Report Brief statement of claim: Plaintiff, a farm and chemical supplier, alleged that he entered into a consignment and sales contract with defendants whereby defendants agreed to accept and sell plaintiff’s product and then repay plaintiff for the portion sold. The plaintiff claimed that the defendants […]
A federal judge in Pennsylvania has transferred to the South Carolina district court a case challenging the Municipal Association of South Carolina’s practice of collecting business license taxes on flood insurance premiums, ruling that the public interest favors transfer to the state that authorizes the tax at issue. Read the full article.
Sowell Gray Stepp & Laffitte, LLC, is rated among the top law firms in South Carolina in the Chambers USA’s 2009 edition of America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, an internationally recognized guide to the legal profession. Additionally, four Sowell Gray members – Elizabeth Van Doren Gray, Thornwell F. Sowell, Robert E. Stepp and J. Calhoun […]
Sowell Gray lawyers obtained a dismissal for its client, William J. McCaig, a former manager at a W.R. Grace mine in Libby, Montana. McCaig, now a South Carolina resident, along with six other former employees and W.R. Grace, was charged with conspiring to knowingly violate the Clean Air Act and to defraud the United States […]
Columbia attorney J. Calhoun Watson will be installed as a member of the South Carolina Bar Board of Governors on Thursday, May 14, during the Bar’s House of Delegates meeting at the Poinsett Club in Greenville. Watson is a partner in the Columbia law firm of Sowell Gray Stepp & Laffitte, LLC, practicing in the […]
- Seven Robinson Gray attorneys again named Super Lawyers; while 5 named Rising Stars
- COVID-19 and the new remote deposition: Tips for success
- COVID-19 and civil litigation in South Carolina
- COVID-19 and small business, part III: The CARES Act – what it means for small business
- COVID-19 and small business, part II: The SBA – current relief and new relaxed guidelines
- Robinson Gray associate Lisle Traywick named to SC Supreme Court Pro Bono Honor Roll
- COVID-19 and small business, part I: The status of government incentives and what they may mean for your business
- COVID-19 telecommuting and workers’ comp claims: How can employers minimize risks?