COLUMBIA, SC – Eight Sowell Gray attorneys are recognized in the just-released 2017 edition of The Best Lawyers in America, one of the oldest peer-reviewed publications covering the legal profession.
The list includes three attorneys designated Lawyer of the Year in their practice areas. Grady Beard was honored as Workers Compensation Law Lawyer of the Year, Becky Laffitte was named Personal Injury Litigation Lawyer of the Year and Bobby Stepp was recognized as Bet-the-Company Litigation Lawyer of the Year. These designations are presented to a single attorney within each practice area and city.
The Sowell Gray attorneys included in 2017 Best Lawyers were recognized in ten practice areas:
- Grady Beard, Workers’ Compensation Law- Employers
- Tina Cundari, Appellate Practice
- Betsy Gray, Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation
- Becky Laffitte, Insurance Law, Litigation – Construction, Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants, Product Liability Litigation – Defendants, Transportation Law
- Biff Sowell, Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation
- Bobby Stepp, Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation
- Monty Todd, Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants
- Cal Watson, Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Professional Malpractice Law – Defendants
Additionally, seven of the attorneys are being recognized for their consistency with Best Lawyers. Beard and Watson have been included for 10 years. Gray, Stepp and Todd have been recognized for 13 years. Laffitte has been honored in the publication for 15 years and Sowell has been in Best Lawyers for 17 years.
Overall, in 2017 four Sowell Gray attorneys were honored in bet-the-company litigation, a major practice area for the firm. Those same four attorneys were recognized for their work in the practice area of Commercial Litigation. Two Sowell Gray attorneys were honored in the Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants, another of the firm’s major practice areas.
The directory, which thousands of lawyers and corporations use annually, is regarded as a definitive guide to the legal profession in the United States. Based on confidential evaluations by the top attorneys in the country, the guide is advertisement-free and no fee is required to be included. All attorneys included in the publication are subject to peer review within both their practice areas and their cities.
The performance of individual attorneys at Sowell Gray led to the firm’s inclusion in the past six editions of The Best Law Firms in America. The new edition will not be released until fall 2017.
Celebrating 20 Years
Sowell Gray is proud to celebrate our 20th Anniversary. Since day one, leadership, accomplishment and service have kept us growing strong. We plan to mark this important milestone with a yearlong celebration of giving back to our community. Learn More.
- Attorney Chris Boguski joins Robinson Gray as associate
- Ashley Johnson and Ben Gooding named among ‘Best & Brightest’ for 2019
- Lisle Traywick named to 2020 Leadership Columbia class
- 17 Robinson Gray attorneys named ‘Best Lawyers’ for 2020; Betsy Gray and Frank Ellerbe honored as ‘Lawyers of the Year’
- Seven Robinson Gray attorneys named among ‘Legal Elite’ for 2019
- Robinson Gray Member Beth Richardson recognized as a 2019 Woman of Influence
- New measure sets flat, predictable fees in Register of Deeds offices in SC
- Robinson Gray again named as ‘Band 1’ firm in general commercial litigation by Chambers USA