COLUMBIA, S.C. – Robinson Gray has named attorney Ben Gooding as the law firm’s newest member.
He was voted into the position at the end of 2020.
“Ben has shown himself to be invaluable to our firm and especially our clients,” said Cal Watson, the law firm’s managing member. “His appellate work stands out in particular, but in every way he exemplifies what Robinson Gray stands for, both in terms of excellence in practice and commitment to the community.”
As a former appellate law clerk, Ben offers a valuable perspective on briefing and arguing issues before an appellate court. While at Robinson Gray, Ben has written numerous appellate briefs on a variety of legal issues at the state and federal levels.
His practice also focuses on professional negligence and commercial litigation. He has experience representing attorneys and law firms in legal malpractice actions in both state and federal courts. His business litigation practice covers a wide variety of business disputes, including banking litigation, legal actions between members of an LLC, commercial landlord/tenant disputes and securities arbitration.
Ben received his Juris Doctor degree from the University of South Carolina School of Law in 2012. He earned his bachelor’s degree in finance from the Terry College of Business at the University of Georgia, magna cum laude, in 2009. His undergraduate studies in business and finance give him extra insight into the functions, operations, and complexities of the businesses he represents.
Honors he has received include being named a South Carolina Super Lawyer Rising Star in 2018, 2019 and 2020; as one of Columbia Business Monthly’s Legal Elite of the Midlands in 2019 and 2020; and as one of the magazine’s Best and Brightest 35 and Under in 2019.
Ben serves on the board of directors for the S.C. Wildlife Federation. He also serves on the advisory board for the mentoring program with Ezekiel Ministries, which formerly operated as Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Columbia. He serves as councilmember of the S.C. Bar’s Trial and Appellate Advocacy Section, and actively participates in the state Bar’s Young Lawyers Division.
Ben and his wife, Jess – also an attorney – have two children and are active in Trenholm Road United Methodist Church.
- Maura Greg joins Robinson Gray law firm
- Chambers USA cites Robinson Gray for excellence in general commercial litigation
- Michael Montgomery and Nick Haigler join executive committee of Robinson Gray
- Nine Robinson Gray attorneys named to SC Super Lawyers list, with two making Top Ten; four others named Rising Stars
- Robinson Gray named a ‘2020 Pro Bono Leader’ in SC by ABA
- La’Jessica Stringfellow appointed to SC Access to Justice Commission
- Watson, Metzger named to inaugural list of Go To lawyers for business in SC
- Robinson Gray names attorney Ben Gooding as newest member