Ben focuses his practice in the areas of appellate advocacy, professional negligence, and commercial litigation.
As a former appellate law clerk, Ben offers a valuable perspective on briefing and arguing issues before an appellate court. While at Robinson Gray, Ben has written numerous appellate briefs on a variety of legal issues at the state and federal level. He also has experience representing attorneys and law firms in legal malpractice actions in both state and federal courts. Ben’s business litigation practice covers a wide variety of business disputes, including banking litigation, legal actions between members of an LLC, commercial landlord/tenant disputes and securities arbitration. Ben’s undergraduate studies in business and finance provide him with the necessary background to understand the functions, operations, and complexities of the businesses he represents.
- Represented lawyers and law firms in numerous legal malpractice suits in both state and federal court arising from estate planning, business, family law, corporate, and litigation matters.
- Represented lawyers before the Office of Disciplinary Counsel for alleged violations of South Carolina Rules of Professional Conduct.
- Represented financial advisors and broker dealers in customer disputes in both state court and the FINRA arbitration forum.
- Represented financial advisors and broker dealers through investigations by FINRA and the South Carolina Attorney General’s Securities Division.
- Represented banks in lawsuits brought by customers involving claims of breach of fiduciary duty, negligent misrepresentation, and aiding and abetting a breach of fiduciary duty.
- Represented local business in a zoning appeal from decisions from the zoning administrator and zoning appeal board.
- Represented local business in negotiations with LLR regarding application of South Carolina regulations to business model.
- Represented officers and directors of a failed company in claims of breach of fiduciary duty, negligence, and self-dealing.
- Represented home owners associations in lawsuits brought by disgruntled homeowners.
- Represented business owner in litigated dispute with other owners.
- Represented various parties in appeals from circuit court, family court, and administrative law court.
- South Carolina Super Lawyer Rising Star
- Business Litigation (2019-2020, 2022-2023)
- Appellate (2018)
- Columbia Business Monthly Legal Elite of the Midlands
- Business Litigation (2019-2020, 2023)
- Professional Liability (2023)
- Columbia Business Monthly Best and Brightest 35 and Under (2019)
- Best Lawyers in America
- Commercial Litigation (2022-2024)
- Professional Malpractice Law – Defendants (2024)
- “Notice of Appeal: Now What? Tips for Your First Time in a South Carolina Appellate Court,” South Carolina Lawyer (May 2017)
- Where is America getting its Political News?, ELECT blog (2016)
- Five Tips on Appellate Writing from a Former Law Clerk, The Advocate’s Journal (2014)
- Judicial Clerk, The Honorable H. Bruce Williams, South Carolina Court of Appeals (2012-2014)
- American Bar Association
- John Belton O’Neall Inn of Court
- South Carolina Bar
- Chair Elect, Trial and Appellate Advocacy Section (2022)
- Richland County Bar Association
- South Carolina Bankers Association
- South Carolina Bar Young Lawyers Division
- Backpack Drive Committee (2015-present)
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys’ Association
- Robinson Gray 20 Years Strong Service Project
- Ezekiel Ministries (formerly Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Columbia)
- Board of Directors (2016-present)
- South Carolina Wildlife Federation
- First Vice Chair, Board of Directors (2022)
- Board of Directors (2017-present)
- South Carolina Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina
- University of South Carolina School of Law, J.D., cum laude (2012)
- South Carolina Law Review, Research Editor
- Order of Wig and Robe
- Order of the Coif
- CALI Award for Advanced Legal Writing
- University of Georgia, Terry College of Business, B.B.A. in Finance, magna cum laude (2009)
- UGA Honors Program
- Leadership (L.E.A.D.) Fellow, Institute for Leadership Advancement