Areas of Focus
Shannon focuses her practice on workers’ compensation and workers’ compensation mediation.
She co-authored The Law of Workers’ Compensation in South Carolina, Second, Third, Fourth, and Fifth Editions, a comprehensive book analyzing this complex area of law. Shannon is a member of the South Carolina Workers’ Compensation Educational Association and has been consistently recognized by Best Lawyers for her work in Workers’ Compensation Law.
- Successfully defended denied cases involving affirmative defenses under the SC Workers’ Compensation Act.
- Participated in multi defendant litigation involving construction litigation with upstream contractors and transfer of liability to the SCUEF.
- Successfully defended coverage issues raised by carrier involving insured failing to elect coverage under Company policy.
- Represented carrier in claim under WC Act and successfully had claim dismissed due to failure of other parties to comply with third party statute requirements.
- Provided representation for carrier resulting in abandonment of repetitive trauma claim while also coordinating ergonomics study to assist in prevention of future claim.
- Best Lawyers
- Workers’ Compensation Law-Employers (2007-2022)
- Lawyer of the Year (2022)
- Columbia Business Monthly Legal Elite
- Workers Compensation (2021)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating
- The Law of Workers’ Compensation in South Carolina, Second, Third, Fourth and Fifth Editions
- South Carolina Bar Association
- Richland County Bar Association
- South Carolina Workers’ Compensation Educational Association
- South Carolina Women Lawyers Association
- Greater Columbia Chamber of Commerce
- South Carolina Chamber of Commerce
- South Carolina Bar
- University of South Carolina School of Law, 1993
- Emory University, 1990