Matt is a member of the firm and focuses his practice on the areas of commercial real estate, banking, and finance.
Matt regularly provides guidance and assistance to clients on all phases of commercial real estate development including site identification and acquisition, construction, financing, leasing, and disposition. In addition to property owners and developers, his clients include national and regional banks that provide credit facilities for the various stages of development. Matt also works with national and local landlords and tenants on multi-tenant and single-tenant leases for industrial facilities, warehouses, retail and office space, shopping centers, and restaurants.
National and regional banks that provide financing for the development and redevelopment of commercial real estate look to Matt for counsel and problem solving. He also assists banks and other private and institutional lenders with loans for working capital, mezzanine financing, and equipment to facilitate a borrower’s business needs.
Matt received his bachelor’s degree in Psychology from Davidson College in 1997, and his Juris Doctor from the University of South Carolina School of Law in 2001. He was honored as Best Lawyers® Lawyer of the Year in Columbia for 2023 in the area of Banking and Finance Law, and has been recognized consistently by Columbia Business Monthly as a ‘Legal Elite of the Midlands.’
Matt serves on the board of the South Carolina Wildlife Federation and is a long-time member and past Distinguished President of the Columbia Kiwanis Club. He enjoys spending time at the ballfield, in the woods, or on the water with his wife and three boys.
- Maintains an active practice as counsel to banks and other institutional lenders that provide construction, term, permanent, and conduit financing to their customers.
- Represented Real Estate Investments Trusts in connection with the acquisition and disposition of REIT assets throughout the United States.
- Assisted clients with matters involving real property taxation, valuation, and assessment.
- Represented property owners’ associations with drafting and enforcing restrictive covenants.
- Represented clients with real property issues involving easements, local zoning ordinances, subdivisions, and matters involving local utilities.
- Best Lawyers
- Lawyer of the Year, Banking and Finance Law (2023-2024)
- Banking and Finance Law, Corporate Law (2023-2024)
- Columbia Business Monthly Legal Elite of the Midlands (2017 – 2021, 2023)
- Columbia Business Monthly Legal Elite of the Midlands Top Attorney, (2013-2021, 2023)
- Richland County Bar Association
- “Civic Star Award” (2005)
- AV Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Columbia Kiwanis Club
- Former President
- Leadership Columbia Alumni Association
- South Carolina Bar
- Unauthorized Practice of Law Committee (2013-2014)
- South Carolina Wildlife Federation
- Board of Directors
- Columbia Chamber of Commerce
- Board of Directors (2015-2016)
- South Carolina Bar
- South Carolina
- University of South Carolina School of Law, J.D. (2001)
- Davidson College, B.A. (1997)
February 9, 2023