ELECT Blog (Election Law Essays on Current Topics): Stay up-to-date with summaries of recent election law related decisions from courts across the country.
Decisions and updates to be discussed include voter ID laws, redistricting changes, Voting Rights Act challenges, individual voting behavior, and other election administration issues.
The goal is for the reader to enjoy the blog, but also to leave better informed. See you there!
The United States Supreme Court held Minnesota’s prohibition of individuals wearing “political badge, political button, or other political insignia” at the polls violated the Free Speech Clause of the First Amendment
The answer is yes, absolutely! However, employers do not have to give staff time off to vote in South Carolina. There is no federal law requiring employers to allow their workers time to vote, but 30 states have chosen to grant protection to employees who want to vote during work hours. For example, in Georgia, […]
By statute, the South Carolina legislature allows for and requires the option for straight-ticket voting. South Carolina Code §7-13-330 provides the instructions for ballot forms, and South Carolina Code §7-13-1340 (b) requires that voting devices “permit each elector … to vote a straight party or body ticket, in one operation[.]” South Carolina is one of […]
This is a topic that is very familiar to me—I just did it last week when I moved. It is extremely easy to change your voter registration in South Carolina and there are several ways to do so. First—and what I wish I had known—you can simply change your address with the South Carolina Department […]
A general election is right around the corner in South Carolina. What ID will I need to bring with me to the polls? South Carolina law provides a number of ID options for electors wanting to cast a ballot. The default ID to be presented at your respective polling place is your current South Carolina […]
- Ashley Lamb named diversity coordinator at Robinson Gray
- Celeste Bowers joins Robinson Gray as associate
- Betsy Gray named to the South Carolina Lawyers Weekly Hall of Fame
- Robinson Gray included in 2019 Best Law Firms in America
- Grady Beard awarded SCWCEA 2018 Lifetime Service Award
- Making it Rain: Elizabeth Van Doren Gray and Rebecca Laffitte
- Business Income Tax Reporting and Municipal Code Updates
- Robinson Gray Attorneys listed in 2019 edition of Best Lawyers in America, one named “Lawyer of the Year”