J. Michael Montgomery
Executive Committee Member
Michael focuses his litigation practice in areas involving premises liability, automobile and trucking torts, insurance coverage, and products liability.
He also has experience in handling construction matters, defending medical malpractice claims, and litigation involving administrative agencies. Michael serves on the firm’s Executive Committee and oversees the firm’s Professional Development program. He is a past president of the John Belton O’Neall Inn of Court, as well as a member of the South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys' Association and the International Association of Defense Counsel. [read more]
Michael is a native of both St. Matthews, South Carolina, and Orangeburg, South Carolina, and he graduated from Wofford College, summa cum laude, in 2003. He received his law degree from the University of South Carolina School of Law in 2006. Before joining Robinson Gray, Michael clerked for the Honorable Costa M. Pleicones, South Carolina Supreme Court, from 2006-2008.
- Represented business owners in commercial automobile and trucking accidents.
- Represented state agencies in cases involving administrative disputes, personal injury, and cases seeking injunctive relief.
- Represented gas stations and national retailers in a variety of premises liability matters.
- Best Lawyers in America
- Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants (2019-2024)
- Litigation-Insurance (2022-2024)
- South Carolina “Super Lawyer” Rising Star
- Personal Injury Defense (2019-2021)
- General Litigation (2016-2018)
- Columbia Business Monthly Legal Elite of the Midlands
- Insurance (2023)
- Personal Injury – Defendant (2023)
- “Understanding the Tort of Negligent Entrustment and Its Application Inside and Outside the Context of Alcohol Intoxication,” South Carolina Lawyer (May 2011)
- Judicial Clerk, The Honorable Costa M. Pleicones, Associate Justice of the South Carolina Supreme Court (2006-2008)
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- John Belton O’Neall Inn of Court
- Past President
- Richland County Bar Association
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys’ Association
- Prisma Health Midlands Foundation
- Board of Directors
- South Carolina Chamber of Commerce
- Safety, Health, and Security Committee (2011-2015)
- South Carolina Bar
- University of South Carolina School of Law, J.D. (2006)
- Wofford College, B.A., summa cum laude, (2003)