Robinson Gray’s business litigators handle a wide variety of business issues, focusing both on complex commercial litigation and resolution of commercial disputes. Our experience ranges from securities litigation, banking and financial services litigation, class actions, intellectual property disputes, insurance disputes, business torts, real property and title insurance, to all types of commercial disputes and corporate counseling.
Our business litigation practice has a long record defending and prosecuting high-stakes commercial matters in federal and state courts, both at trial and in appeals. We value our experience working with both corporate plaintiffs and defendants as it gives us the necessary perspective to defend and pursue cases.
We recognize that each lawsuit is unique and design an individually tailored plan for each case. Our approach is business-like and efficient as we prepare and try or resolve cases. If consistent with our clients’ goals, we look for opportunities to resolve matters at early stages and, if possible, to incorporate win-win business solutions. Because much of complex commercial litigation can be costly, our goal is to create a strategy with the client to recognize the claims that can be defeated early and assist our clients in deciding how to prioritize resources.
While many cases are ultimately settled, we pride ourselves on our courtroom experience. Our lawyers defended one of the longest non-jury trials in South Carolina history and have handled a variety of jury trials to verdict. As is often critical in complex business cases, we are experienced in handling the collection, organization, and production of documents on a large scale. We recognize the effectiveness of trial preparation and presentation technology and know how and when to incorporate it in our strategy. We staff our matters with experienced lawyers who know the legal or industry subject matter of the case and support our lawyers with competent support personnel.
Our business litigators at Robinson Gray have been widely recognized. In addition to active memberships in a range of national and local professional organizations and bar associations, our lawyers have been regularly recognized by The Best Lawyers in America, Chambers USA America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, the American College of Trial Lawyers, the American Board of Trial Advocates, and South Carolina Super Lawyers.
- Represented officers and directors of failed companies in claims of breach of fiduciary duty, negligence, and self-dealing.
- Pursued and defended claims of breach of contract and breach of contract accompanied by fraudulent act in wide variety of pre-litigation and litigated contexts.
- Represented numerous parties in variety of claims alleging violations of the South Carolina Unfair Trade Practices Act.
- Represented business and individual defendants in numerous claims alleging conspiracy, fraud, and gross negligence.
- Represented business owners in multiple litigated disputes with other owners and third parties.
- Represented businesses in federal RICO claims.
- Represented franchisees in claims of breach of contract, negligence, and negligent supervision.
- Pursued and defended indemnity claims in a variety of litigated contexts.
- Represented insurance companies and insured businesses in various commercial coverage disputes and defended insurance companies in life and workers’ compensation insurance coverage disputes.
- Defended businesses against fraudulent transfer claims in bankruptcy adversary proceedings.
- Represented majority shareholders of closely held businesses in corporate oppression and dissolution actions.
- Defended class actions for a variety of parties in wide range of disputes, including breach of contract, fraud in the inducement, violations of the South Carolina Unfair Trade Practices Act, and violations of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (“TCPA”).