Paul represents clients in creditor-debtor litigation, real estate title litigation, and related business litigation, often involving financial and contractual disputes.
Paul has regularly represented creditors in debt recovery matters, including workouts, collections, foreclosures, tax sales, asset research and recovery, and high value judgment collection cases. He has significant experience resolving problem loan and lease accounts and pursuing recoveries across South Carolina, including through successor liability, alter-ego/piercing veil, and fraudulent transfer claims.
He has regularly represented mortgage holders and property owners in real property and lien litigation, including easement and boundary disputes, quiet title and reformation claims, subrogation litigation, deed and mortgage defect claims, equitable lien claims, and other title curative measures.
Paul has also litigated various business disputes and routinely defended financial institutions against claims involving allegations of fraud, forgery, and unauthorized account transactions.
Paul has been named a “Super Lawyer Rising Star” for Creditor-Debtor Rights (2018-2022), named to Columbia Business Monthly Legal Elite for his practice in Banking and Finance (2018) and Foreclosure (2022), and named to “Best Lawyers in America” for his practice in Commercial Litigation, Real Estate Litigation, and Real Estate Law (2021-2023). Paul is an active leader within the firm’s Meritas network, a global alliance of legal professionals across 187 law firms serving 255 business markets. He is a past Chairman of the Meritas Young Lawyer Advisory Board and currently serves as a designated Meritas member contact.
- Lead counsel for national equipment servicer pursuing claims against former employees for misappropriation of confidential information, improper customer solicitations, breach of fiduciary duty, civil conspiracy, tortious interference, and injunctive relief.
- Lead counsel for creditors in loan workouts and recoveries, including debt restructurings, collections, receiverships, repossessions, tax sales, foreclosures, and judgment executions.
- Lead counsel for equipment lease provider in pursuing multi-million-dollar contract lawsuit, including claims for breach of fiduciary duty, successor liability, and piercing the corporate veil.
- Lead counsel for regional bank defending claims of negligence and malicious prosecution related to allegations and dispute over a bad check.
- Lead counsel for regional bank in trial court action and subsequent appeal of Order striking jury demands.
- Lead counsel for insured property owners and mortgage lenders in numerous lawsuits involving real property and lien disputes.
- Lead counsel for mortgage lender in trial involving claims to invalidate a tax sale
- Lead counsel for mortgage lender in trial involving claims to reform a mortgage.
- Lead counsel for mortgage lender in trial involving claims to set aside a deed and extinguish a mortgage based on allegations of fraud and forgery.
- Lead counsel for company in bankruptcy adversary proceedings involving fraudulent transfer claims.
- Lead counsel for regional bank defending claims based upon allegations of unauthorized account transactions.
- Lead counsel for regional bank defending claims based upon allegations of wrongful eviction from a primary residence.
- Lead counsel for a federal credit union defending claims based upon allegations of wrongful automobile repossession.
- Lead counsel for manufacturer and distributor of insulated concrete forms defending claims in a construction defect lawsuit.
- Lead counsel for industrial scaffolding provider and manufacturing facility owner defending mechanic’s lien and surety bond claims of a subcontractor.
- Lead counsel for corporation administering retirement assets defending claims based upon alleged unauthorized transfers of retirement account funds.
- Defended owner and luxury condominium developer against claims related to alleged violations of zoning ordinances and related government regulations.
- Represented landlord in a jury trial and subsequent appeal in pursuing claims against a tenant and guarantor for breach of a lease, unfair trade practices, and conversion.
- Lead counsel for owner of a commercial restaurant property in a landlord-tenant dispute.
- Represented judgment creditor in trial court action and subsequent appeal involving claims of fraudulent transfer, lien priorities, and foreclosure.
- Best Lawyers in America
- Commercial Litigation (2021-2024)
- Litigation-Real Estate (2021-2024)
- Real Estate Law (2021-2024)
- Columbia Business Monthly Legal Elite of the Midlands
- Banking and Finance (2018-2019)
- Foreclosure (2022-2023)
- South Carolina Super Lawyer Rising Star
- Creditor Debtor Rights (2018-2023)
- South Carolina Bar Young Lawyers Division
- President’s Award (2015-2016)
- Star of the Quarter (2009-2014)
- John Belton O’Neall American Inn of Court
- The Kiwanis Club of Columbia
- Palmetto Land Title Association
- Richland County Bar Association
- South Carolina Bankers Association
- South Carolina Bar
- Greater Columbia Chamber of Commerce
- South Carolina Chamber of Commerce
- South Carolina Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of South Carolina
- University of South Carolina School of Law, J.D. (2008)
- University of South Carolina, Darla Moore School of Business, B.S. in Finance and Real Estate (2005)